Saturday, September 1, 2007

Bad Ambassadors!

I was going through a few blogs on Technorati today and I was shocked at how many anti-Islam blogs I came across. I'm not just saying people opinionated against it, no, I mean people that are going on to say all Muslims should be EXTERMINATED! Well, I can understand why people might think this way. People only think Islam condones terrorism because there are Muslims that give them cause to!

The series of events regarding Islam and the western world is so unfortunate. People commit atrocities for political sakes in the name of Islam. They justify cruelty and injustice with "Jihad". To me, they are very bad ambassadors of Islam. I have been a Muslim all my life, had intensive Islamic Education from very early childhood and nowhere along the line have I come across a verse or chapter that condones most of these actions.

Islam has only brought peace, joy and contentment to my life. Sometimes I wish people would understand it the way I do, but I know it's impossible. I look at my close set of friends and smile at the cocktail of religions; Muslims, Christians, Jews, Hindus, Atheists and Baha'is. If we can all get along, why can't the world?

As I grow up I see my the chances of my childhood dream of world peace thinning. I think people that are anti-Islam should try to see things politically and not religiously. Most muslims in the world are from the middle east and we all know how politically fustrated that region is. I just wish they didn't use Islam to justify their actions.

Was going through Surah Al-Imran and came across some beautiful verses about forgiveness. I wish people will realise that fighting violence with violence is only multiplying violence. If only people can learn to forgive...

وَالَّذِينَ إِذَا فَعَلُواْ فَاحِشَةً أَوْ ظَلَمُواْ أَنْفُسَهُمْ ذَكَرُواْ اللّهَ فَاسْتَغْفَرُواْ لِذُنُوبِهِمْ وَمَن يَغْفِرُ الذُّنُوبَ إِلاَّ اللّهُ وَلَمْ يُصِرُّواْ عَلَى مَا فَعَلُواْ وَهُمْ يَعْلَمُونَ
3:135 and who, when they have committed a shameful deed or have [otherwise] sinned against themselves, remember God and pray that their sins be forgiven - for who but God could forgive sins? - and do not knowingly persist in doing whatever [wrong] they may have done.



Zahratique's Prayer

..."O our Sustainer! forgive us our sins and the lack of moderation in our doings! And make firm our steps, and succour us against people who deny the truth!" - (Qur'an 3:147)

ربَّنَا اغْفِرْ لَنَا ذُنُوبَنَا وَإِسْرَافَنَا فِي أَمْرِنَا وَثَبِّتْ أَقْدَامَنَا وانصُرْنَا عَلَى الْقَوْمِ الْكَافِرِينَ

8 comments:

Fo said...

uve said it all...like u said it excatly how i feel it...but wht can we do...its sad,but noone gets it as we do,thats why i try explain to alot of the ppl i knw making these mistakes...nice post sis
i really enjoy reading ur blog....
ONE LOVE!

Ms. Catwalq said...

Oh, u are a muslim. That is refreshing to come across on blogville.
I have a soft spot for Islam. My father came from a muslim background and when alot of christians turned against me, I found solace and acceptance amongst the muslims at my school. I don't follow the faith and I am increasingly upset by how some people have taken the teachings and used them as intruments of terror and oppression; especially against women.
So sad. How can a faith that produces one of the most rousing sounds of the morning in its call to prayer be the source of others who will cause so much pain and suffering?

hajia said...

All those hate blogs do not bother me one bit. Of course I do not like them but i disregard them. Have you heard that hating someone reduces ones body health? Let them do all the hating they want,let them write all the nonsense they want, let them draw all the silly cartoons they want, let them pass all the innuendos they want.They wont ever change my faith and i wont copy them or their tantrums. But lest we forget there are good and sensible ones among them that we can always reach out for.
Keep the flag flying zahra and fatoumatta with good examples and be upright.

Zahratique said...

@ Fatoooooooou: I guess we can help change the opinions of narrow minded people by being good examples ourselves. Just be he best in what we do.

@ Catwalq: Indeed it is upsetting. I am strongly pro Women's Right and I have all these plans and ideas in my head on how to make a difference starting from our beloved Naija....wud update you on it.

@ Hajia: Thats da Spirit! Sticks and stones... Tanks for da advice :)

Anonymous said...

i have so many questions to ask..
my dad is muslim but i'm not... its this whole long thing.
but i like your blg, what uunashamedly- no, make that proudly stand for, and .. uh... everything :)
will be back.

Rinsola said...

I wonder how the world would be if we have PEACE dwelling within. Thanks for stopping by

محمد مصطفى الشيخ محمد برنوما said...

hey
thanks 4 this informative post
it shoes how much u care and love ur religion
different people at different point of time attacked islam and it goes on
but the fact that ,these person kept attacking should motivate us to write more and more about islam
some of them are ill-motivated some others ,seek 2 know the truth
i guest we write the best we know about our religion
as they have the legal 2 speak out we may have the same 2 repy and tell them the truth
shukran

Unknown said...

Zahra,

you have really done well. Sincerely you are a rare gem. Keep it up and don't get relented. Please always reach me if there is anyway I could help.

Allah knows best.